Wednesday, 10 September 2014

Review: Three Parts Dead by max Gladstone

 
 
This book blew me away! And it's hard to pin-point just why. But I think it's be fair to say what I liked most about the book is that it is smart.

A legal thriller meets urban fantasy, with a much larger epic world lurking in the background is how I'd describe Three Parts Dead if you'd press me. The characters are interesting, well-rounded, and with the kind of snarky personality that makes you want to sit-up and read more about them. The magic system is nicely thought out, (we see a glimpse of a stock exchange where they are trading on various gods' favours and energies!) but it is finally only a setting to an enthralling case of trying to resurrect a dead god. What more could I ask for.

The prose is vivid and the constant description of colours and shapes can take a little getting used to. The plot resolves itself wonderfully with the right amount of tension, and I just can't wait to get started on the remaining Craft Sequence books.

A note on the Cover Art: I read this on my kindle, and I've to say I'm a little wistful about not owning that gorgeous cover art. Really, why can't we have more of these?
 
Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment